The thing that brought the fame to Hoi An was the Bridge Pagoda built by the Japanese.
The Japanese built it themselves or they hired the Chinese to build it? It is the question of history. We only know that this pagoda is located on the water stream with strong currents especially in the flooded seasons. The bridge includes two parts : bridge and pagoda. The bridge was built with jointed planks, leaving the passage for travelling in between and the two aisles on both sides for pedestrians. The small-trade vendors took the advantages of these walking ways to sell books or any trivial stuffs, together with the serious story – tellers who could tell the life story of the passers – by reading their palm-lines. At the either end of the bridge are the two statues of monkey and dog, which may mean that the construction _started in the year of monkey and ended in the year of dog. But other people considered it a custom that needed considering. The pagoda located close to the bridge was also made of wood. The plaque over the front door read “Lai Van Kieu” (Far—away People Bridge), written by Lord Nguyen Phuoc Chan on his excursion to HoiAn in , 1719. Formerly the Pagoda was used to worship, Huyen Thien Dai De, namely Bac De Tran Vu, a well-known figure in Taoism, who was believed to, be able exorcise the rebellious Cu monster as (mentioned previously. The Cu was mythologized; as an extremely enormous monster. In its anger, it was moved its tail to stir up Japan, causing violent earthquakes. In Hoi An was its back and its head I was in India. A pagoda must be built in order to exercise it and stop its destruction. Bac De was the god specialized in this skill. In fact, it was not the skill of Bac De, but it was the skill of the architect who knew how to make a strong stone if foundation that helped stop the anger of this violent current.
The Bridge pagoda or the Japanese Pagoda was constructed possibly in the middle of the XVll century. The year of construction in 1817 was justified. Was it possible that a wooden—made, tile-roofed bridge was reconstructed only after more than a century.