Astrakhan from height "pearl" of the Volga
• Astrakhan from height "pearl" of the Volga region
In average and not very young Russians the word "Astrakhan" is associated, perhaps, only with quote from a popular comedy ( "take Kazan, Astrakhan took, Shpak ... did not take"). Yes, maybe more, with watermelons, with which this region is famous. Looking down on a historically noble city streets and squares, try a little to correct obvious injustice.
In the past was known as Astrakhan Xacitarxan. first mentioned in 1333 in historical sources. Although the city itself is undoubtedly older: scientists believe that it was formed in the second half of the XIII century. Conveniently located at the crossroads of caravan routes, Xacitarxan quickly turned into a large shopping center of the Golden Horde. At the end of the XIV century, the city plundered Tamerlane. Only half a century later Xacitarxan reborn as a center of Astrakhan Khanate.
In the XVI century Astrakhan gradually entered the sphere of interest of the Moscow kingdom. And after the suppression in the middle of the century by Ivan the Terrible several riots ( "Kazan taking") The local Khanate disappeared. Founded in 1558, "Russian Astrakhan" became a part of Russia and became its southern outpost. Actively colonize the territory of immigrants began in the middle of the XVII century. Today Astrakhan with its half a million people - a real "pot" of peoples (there are more than a hundred), national cultures and beliefs (in 14 religious denominations are registered).
Originally a wooden fortress, Astrakhan Kremlin - the same age as the city. Built in 1558 on the left bank of the Volga. The construction of the stone Kremlin began in 1582 under Ivan the Terrible, walls built for seven years, but construction was delayed until the end of the 20-ies of the XVII century.
The monument of ancient architecture, the Astrakhan Kremlin has undergone a capital restoration and acquired a modern look in the middle of the XX century. In the photo - Assumption Cathedral with belfry. In the foreground - Artillery tower (in the XVII century it was known as torture).
One of the most beautiful buildings in the city - Astrakhan State Opera and Ballet Theater. Construction began in 2007, the first concert was held in October of 2011. The auditorium is designed for 1200 seats.
Admiralty Street in the city center, stretches along the Volga River, runs along the walls of the Astrakhan Kremlin. On the left - Nikolsky gates of the Kremlin, followed by further tower Red Gate. Right across the street is a shopping center Premium Hall.
In the XX century, Astrakhan, extremely lucky, because it is almost not affected by the Second World War. Luftwaffe planes bombed ships on the Volga River, but the city itself is hardly affected and German troops before him had arrived. That is why the center of Astrakhan, has kept a relatively large number of historic buildings. In the photo: Nikolskaya Street.
The residential complex business-class "Volzhskaya Riviera" on the banks of the Volga Creek in the center of Astrakhan.
Created in the XX century, partly artificial Volga Zaton was separated from the main area of the Volga River engineering structures. On both its banks landscaped scenic waterfront. In the middle ground left photo - Swan Lake, followed by a complex of buildings of the Kremlin.
The monument to Heydar Aliyev in the park it is the same name on the embankment of the Volga Creek. A sign of recognition of ex-President of Azerbaijan in the development of relations between his country and the Astrakhan region. The monument was opened in October 2010, during a visit to Astrakhan, the current head of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev - son of Heydar Aliyev. The total height of the monument is about 7, 5 meters.
Pedestrian bridge in honor of the friendship between Russia and Azerbaijan in the park named after Heydar Aliyev.
Henri Barbusse Street. As in several other Russian cities named in honor of the French Communist writer. In the middle ground right photo - Pokrovsky Cathedral. In the background - a complex of the Grand Hotel Astrakhan located on the banks of the Volga, to the left of the hotel "new" Astrakhan road bridge.
Shopping and entertainment center "Central". He Astrakhan central department store.
14-storey hotel, Park Inn Astrakhan is part of a worldwide network of hotel Radisson. Located in an area near the train station Astrakhan-1.
After the collapse of the USSR Astrakhan became the main naval base of the Red Banner Caspian Flotilla, here transferred its core strength. Also in town is the headquarters of the fleet and support services. Ships and boats 73rd Guards Brigade of water area protection ships are based in the Bay of Golden's Creek, where built quay wall about 250 meters long. The depth of the creek, located at the western end of Astrakhan, is 10-12 meters.
Astrakhan State Opera and Ballet Theater.
In Astrakhan there are more than two dozen temples and churches, many of which are recognized as historical and architectural monuments. In the foreground of the photo: Dome and bell tower of the "pearl of the Volga region" - a temple in honor of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, it was built in 1903-1907 years. In the background - the Assumption Cathedral in the Astrakhan Kremlin.