Facts about the DNA, so that you learn about yourself a little more
• Facts about the DNA, so that you learn about yourself a little more
DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) - this is what creates the human being. This detailed plan of our body. Without human DNA would not exist. This macromolecule, which carries the genetic instructions for the development and functioning of all living organisms and is not even quite alive (eg, viruses).
DNA is present in every single cell of the human body and is inherited from parents, so we are in many ways similar to their mothers and fathers. As certainly a good thing and the desired DNA, however, can be used for sinister purposes. For example, to reproduce itself with the help of DNA viruses infect organisms.
So what it's like DNA? It is shaped like a double helix, which essentially means that it is spun into a giant spiral "staircase" and each step "ladder" consists of a pair of nucleotides. Sometimes during DNA replication changes occur, causing mutations. Although not all mutations are harmful - some may find useful.
So, get ready to learn 25 interesting facts about the DNA that will help you learn about yourself a little more!
25. Piyavkovidnye rotifers - microscopic creatures that reproduce by including in their DNA genes eaten organisms - plants, animals, fungi and bacteria. Each individual piyavkovidnoy rotifers carries a pair of gonads (organs that produce sex cells). Thus, for the past 80 million years, they can do without sexual reproduction.
24. If you print one word per second every day for 8 hours, in order to print the human genome, it will take 50 years.
23. Instead of poison wasps Braconidae injected his victims virus that suppresses the immune system and allows the parasitic larvae grow inside the victim.
Scientists found that this virus is not unlike any other that exists on our planet. It is more than 100 million years, and it appears to be "integrated" into the very DNA braconid.
22. The DNA in human blood, which is a bone marrow transplant, and may contain the DNA of the donor (which more than once led to the arrests of people wrong in the past).
21. The brothers and sisters of DNA identical to the 50% - as well as parents and children.
20. The DNA is damaged almost 1,000,000 times during the day. This occurs in each cell of the human body. Fortunately, the human body is provided a complex recovery system. If it does not work, it can lead to cancer or cell death.
19. Of all invertebrate most closely related to man are earthworms (we have more in common with them in the DNA than cockroaches and even octopuses).
18. According to scientists, members of four Icelandic families have DNA, which can be found only among the Native American (Indian). This indicates that about 1,000 years ago, the Vikings brought from America to Europe, the Indian woman.
17 has a hard disk on the International Space Station, which is called "Immortality Drive." It contains the DNA of such outstanding people like Lance Armstrong and Stephen Hawking, in the event of disasters worldwide scale.
16. A resident of the US state of Maryland Brooke Greenberg (Brooke Greenberg) was the size of a child's mental abilities and had one year old baby. She died recently at the age of 20 years. Scientists believe that in the American DNA can be "key" to biological immortality.
15. Like DNA braconid, which you learned above, a person's DNA by about 8% is made up of ancient viruses that infect humans.
14. According to DNA research, Polynesians probably visited Chile in the 1300's, reaching the Americas before Columbus 200 years earlier.
13. All the saved digital information can be recorded in 2 grams of DNA in the world.
12. The researchers coded the song "It's A Small World After All" ( "It's still a small world") in the DNA of bacteria resistant to radioactivity, so that in the event of a nuclear disaster, people of the future, or other form of life will be able to listen to it.
11. John Shneberger (John Schneeberger) - Zambian doctor who lives in Canada, which in 2004 was charged with sexual assault. He implanted in his arm tube with someone else's blood, thereby deceiving the investigation, when he took the blood for DNA analysis. When the deception was revealed later, he was deported.
10. The DNA of all humans is similar to the 99, 9%. All the differences between us are in the remaining one-tenth percent.
9. The genetic content of the egg can be replaced with the DNA of man and then fertilized by sperm. In this case, the biological parents of the child will be two men.
8. If the DNA in all cells of the human body to unwind, it can last for 16 billion kilometers. This is the approximate distance from the earth to Pluto and back.
7. Although there are many sites and laboratories offering genetic make human saliva test to determine his ancestry, the scientists warn that this is akin to genetic astrology and should not be taken seriously.
6. The human DNA by 50% identical to the DNA of a banana.
5. The researchers found that the DNA half-life of 521 years, and at 1, 5 million years can not even read those DNA samples that have been preserved well.
4. For this reason, it is extremely unlikely that dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures could ever be cloned, because they became extinct more than 65,000,000 years ago.
3. While investigating a case of theft of jewelery, the German police took DNA samples. The results led to two twins Hassan and Abbas O. (according to German law, it is forbidden to call their full names).
Both brothers have denied any involvement in the crime, but the police know exactly what is done by one of them (it confirmed the DNA test result). Unfortunately, the investigators were unable to determine - that it is (they are virtually identical DNA, since they are twins). And since, according to German law, suspects can not delay indefinitely, the police had no choice but to let them go.
2. All people of non-African origin, there are traces of Neanderthal DNA.
1. In 2013, the project was implemented under the name "Deep Storage Hornsleth" (Hornsleth Deep Storage Project), in which the bottom of the deepest part of the ocean has been omitted "time capsule." It contained samples of human blood, hair and animal DNA. This is done so that in the future could revive the species endangered.